Skip to main content

The Pulpit Half Truths– Love God, Go to Church, Just don’t be Clueless!


There are several things we have believed from our childhood that make us strongly hold on to beliefs without questioning the fundamental truths. Some are partially true while others are way misinformed. They have made many young people to question the good in the gospel since they are picked from respected forums in our society. I am a strong believer in the power of a supreme God and I strongly recommend everyone to have faith in God. To know God at a personal level as well as to question what they do not understand. This will be an added advantage to you in navigating through tough times in this life. Some of these beliefs sound so godly at times however they are not the gospel truths. It is very dangerous to believe everything you get to hear from any pulpit without engaging your brain and the knowledge you have on the same. God has given you the will to make choices under the sun. However, it is common to see people expecting God to make decisions on their behalf in the name of having faith in God. You should never replace faith with the need for just mere common sense. It is your personal responsibility to make choices since God has given you the power and the right to choose what you need. Be it right or wrong it is still your responsibility to make that specific choice.

We often get to hear statement like “All things happens as per Gods will and plan.” Great and for sure I agree with you. However the big question is, if today I choose to steal from my neighbour is that still Gods will? Was that what God intended? Why would God allow my neighbour to suffer in the so called “Gods will “for my life? Sometimes we miss the point and use Gods name to justify our inadequacy. We are not that powerless that we cannot influence the things that happen to our lives. Many Christians unknowingly live like fatalists. We ignorantly believe that whatever happens should have been meant to happen more so for a reason and that it should be in Gods will. We end up giving excuses to things that we ought to have done instead. A fatalist will eat themselves silly and say it is Gods will for them to be over-weight. Why on earth would God want you to die of high cholesterol and some other lifestyle diseases? Man has been gifted with the right and the power to choose. Our choices will have respective consequences. While there may be times circumstance are beyond our control, there are a number of times when we just need to make a decision to bring a turnaround point. If we think all things work as per Gods will, then how awful can it be that it is Gods will for all the bad things that happen to humanity? Half-truths are logical and they make a lot of sense yet if not confronted critically they can graduate to unsound doctrines. All Half-truths have some strong elements of truth in them however they miss a certain perspective to the main point. Half-truths can cause one to question their life if bad things keep happening to them.


We live in a world of cause and effect. For every action in life, the will be a guaranteed effect in life.  Your actions, attitude, thoughts, behaviours, and reaction to issues will cause specific effects. If you are not happy with the way things are happening in your life, then you just need to change the causes that brought unhappiness in the first place. Change your actions and your life will automatically start looking different. The will of God does not allow you to run away from your personal responsibility. Sometimes we make decisions that do not turn out the right way then blame God for our own bad choices. I recently came across a comment on Facebook that said; “Everything happens for a reason, and sometimes that reason is because you are stupid.”


There is a big difference between God’s will and the effects of your actions.  Change your thoughts and you will respectively change your actions. Your new actions will respectively change your life. They say all we need is in our minds and God has given us the power to use our minds in this life. It is Gods will to have a long life. God honours the desires of your heart and that's why Hezekiah in the bible cried to God even after his time was up and God honoured his desire. Having discussed the will of God, this blog does not downplay the fact that it is not an easy task to differentiate Gods will and the causes of your action.


As a young adult it is important to have faith in God and build your belief on a solid ground. It is unfortunate that many young people in their 20something's have opted out of church because we have made it complicated with many half-truths.  We have been made to believe that as a Christian you should never struggle with sexuality, sin, addictions and many other vices that affect many 20 something’s. When the normal challenges in life hit our lives, we get to a point of self-judgment. We fake everything that happens to us until we cannot hold it anymore and that’s how we get to comments like, “she was such a nice person, what happen?” We are doped to believe that all things work for our good, and that challenges will not be our portion. But is this the reality? We forget that we shall be living in the same world with so many people who hold different beliefs. You will get into a public transport with a drunkard, they will call you names and annoy you. So, is it okay for a Christian to get offended?  You are human, you will get offended and that does not make you less of a Christian. Opting out of church may be justifiable at times, however it will never be the solution to life challenges. I can assure you this can only be equated to walking away from the fire place on a chilly cold day.  My dear, stick there, read your bible, pray to God for guidance and in a while, just a short while you will be okay.


Written By:

Raw Manuscript (Un- Edited)
Dinah Muthuka

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty? Why not Just Clean it?

Gross? Not sure. It depends on how you look at it. But nevertheless chances are you are right. I had bought the cup anyway, so I had to try it. It felt like a first day of bikini waxing. A little awkward but then still curious enough to just want to go on. I believe in the menstrual cup, but let’s just say I will need some time to get used to it. So I went back to my tampons for a while. This time round I changed my brand from OB to Cotton. Believe me I am not the kind that promotes products. Unless it’s so irresistible. I found out that the Cottons tampons are only made from 100% natural cotton. Cottons tampons are also hypo-allergenic and biodegradable. Wish I had discovered this a little earlier. Nevertheless, now I know. So, I had to share the good news with someone. Who best fits than someone who has been forced to stick with you for more than 8 hours a day by a simple pay check? So I pull out a small well packed tampon box to show her. It did not bother me that I had some

NOT NOW...

[Photo Coutesy of Google.] So it is 5 th June, it’s summerish in New York I thin k. We touch down at JFK at 6:55am or about local time. Never mind I still call it JKIA every so often because that’s where I frequent most. I am excited and anxious at the same time. It’s been a 15hour flight and to be so sincere , I can’t feel my big toe. I just want to get out of this freaking big plane and breathe some fresh air. So I walk past the flight attendant at the exit door and in a small scared coarse voice I whisper to myself, “Welcome to America Village Girl.” I then walk behind this particular lady whom from a distance seems to be nice. She was seated across my wing in the flight, between a black old lady and a Mzungu guy. Everybody is walking very fast. Why on earth do people walk that fast after alighting from a plane? Let’s just assume most of them have connecting flights and the rest of us are just scared of being left behind. Deep within, I am sure this lady is going to help

Red Love Day

Valentine day, what is it? … mmmh … makes the two of us. I have been looking for the real meaning to it. All I have grasped over the past few years is that the day is red in color and it is celebrated by lovers. So I choose to call it a ‘Red Love day.’ There is an immeasurable distance between Love and Red Love; Life's greatest tragedy is that we get old too soon and never get to differentiate the two. But think again, they say it’s never too late to get back on track. Well, I do agree. But I choose to think it may depend on what took you off the track.... (Imagine the case of a fatal Accident; I can ass ure you chances are that you may never get back on track.) . But all the same don't we have survivors of such! In a few days time ‘Red Love day’ will be here with us and not to mention lots of expectations from lovers .The roses, candle lit dinner, chocolates …the very inevitable will be the Heart-Breaks. Consciously or unconsciously.... many of us have plans ready on how to m