Skip to main content

JAMES QUEST R. NZUKI -The Reminiscence



JAMES QUEST R. NZUKI
The Reminiscence
August 2013, I heard about James Quest…! A few days later I received his first email   quest@james-quest.com” and yes I confirmed who I was about to meet.  “A white guy in skinny jeans and high level self confidence”. At lease I was not wrong on the self confidence.
James Quest, Photographer + Filmmaker <quest@james-quest.com>







Hey Dinah
Thanks for the invite, my apologies for the delay in replying. It would be an honor to join you for your pitch. Count me in.
Also, this might be of interest to you: check out a book called PITCH ANYTHING by Oren Klauff. Amazing guy this, with immense World experience and proven ideology on pitching. You might find it useful. Am working out some logistics as regards DareToFearLess and I shall be coming back to you asap to follow up on your willingness to participate. It’s great to have you as a part of this.
Thanks again for the invite, God bless you.
JQ


And yes …he was there for my Spark * Accelerator pitching event. I barely knew him at this point. He was pleased with our work at Young Jewel and immediately joined our school mentorship visits the same year. Within a year you would think we had known him for years... “Chic you are doing a great Job with the kids” He always reminded me.

Quest was many things, from being very silly, stubborn, to a great guy …. But above all he was a supportive friend, full of life and a big heart for humanity. He then shared the ‘Dare To Be Fearless’ concept; his intention to share African stories; normal people doing small things with passions and great hearts. So he came with his expensive cameras to capture the story behind Young Jewels Mentorship Program. We bonded over the few years.  He was a great guy, we shared coffee and endless talks about everything… yes everything. Beyond the Mr. Fix it all, Quest was very human, he had his lows too and unlike you would imagine, he talked about them too… but occasionally! Quest was special, to some extend I felt like he was a public possession*. He was there for everyone and anyone! On my first bike ride with him along Thika road, he got out of his way to assist a lady driver whose car had been hit by a bus along Thika Road. The most interesting part was that it took us more than 3 hours to sort the lady and he was extremely patient. We only left there after the lady was through with the Police. As we left the police station he asked if I had picked the lady’s number which I had! “Kindly follow up on her tomorrow, I don’t want her to think I am hitting* on her” He said….and yeah mission accomplished! On a separate day, on our way from Machakos school visit, Quest jumped out of the car, we all thought he was going to get something. But No! He jumped out to sort traffic at a junction in Machakos town. We had to pull over the road to wait for him to sort the traffic. And yes he only joined us after the traffic was flowing. That was Quest for you! Our own *Transporter*! Do good, walked away!

Now Quest, on that fateful day I was so sure you had this entire prank* planned out. I knew you were capable of doing it. So I did not mourn on that Friday because I knew it was all a big bad joke! I had already planned how hard I would be on you for pulling such a bad one on everybody!  But the Saturday morning was very different. I talked to Riverstone, he was very broken…He confirmed my greatest fear!  It dawned to me you will never hit my doorbell again ever! The pain was too much; I wouldn’t say it’s easier.. at times I really miss you. It never passed a week or two without SLYD and I talking about you. Actually we got lots of things to share with you! You made many friends at Young Jewels, we miss you a lot Quest, and the gap is highly felt. Every day we celebrate your life. You should know, SLYD has become such a good photographer I really hope you see his work from there! You are always in our hearts forever!

In his sleep, Quest has taught me to live life to my fullest, to drop anything that does not brings joy, to appreciate friends more, to be 100% there for others. To know life is a gift and that service to others is eternal! To dare and be the best I can be! Meanwhile I am doing my best at it!
James Quest - Dare- Fear-less 


Written By: Dinah Muthuka
Young Jewels Foundation
P.O BOX 47754 00100. Nairobi - KENYA
Website:
http://www.youngjewels.org,Facebook:Young Jewels Foundation, Twitter: @jewelfoundation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty? Why not Just Clean it?

Gross? Not sure. It depends on how you look at it. But nevertheless chances are you are right. I had bought the cup anyway, so I had to try it. It felt like a first day of bikini waxing. A little awkward but then still curious enough to just want to go on. I believe in the menstrual cup, but let’s just say I will need some time to get used to it. So I went back to my tampons for a while. This time round I changed my brand from OB to Cotton. Believe me I am not the kind that promotes products. Unless it’s so irresistible. I found out that the Cottons tampons are only made from 100% natural cotton. Cottons tampons are also hypo-allergenic and biodegradable. Wish I had discovered this a little earlier. Nevertheless, now I know. So, I had to share the good news with someone. Who best fits than someone who has been forced to stick with you for more than 8 hours a day by a simple pay check? So I pull out a small well packed tampon box to show her. It did not bother me that I had some

NOT NOW...

[Photo Coutesy of Google.] So it is 5 th June, it’s summerish in New York I thin k. We touch down at JFK at 6:55am or about local time. Never mind I still call it JKIA every so often because that’s where I frequent most. I am excited and anxious at the same time. It’s been a 15hour flight and to be so sincere , I can’t feel my big toe. I just want to get out of this freaking big plane and breathe some fresh air. So I walk past the flight attendant at the exit door and in a small scared coarse voice I whisper to myself, “Welcome to America Village Girl.” I then walk behind this particular lady whom from a distance seems to be nice. She was seated across my wing in the flight, between a black old lady and a Mzungu guy. Everybody is walking very fast. Why on earth do people walk that fast after alighting from a plane? Let’s just assume most of them have connecting flights and the rest of us are just scared of being left behind. Deep within, I am sure this lady is going to help

The Pulpit Half Truths– Love God, Go to Church, Just don’t be Clueless!

There are several things we have believed from our childhood that make us strongly hold on to beliefs without questioning the fundamental truths. Some are partially true while others are way misinformed. They have made many young people to question the good in the gospel since they are picked from respected forums in our society. I am a strong believer in the power of a supreme God and I strongly recommend everyone to have faith in God. To know God at a personal level as well as to question what they do not understand. This will be an added advantage to you in navigating through tough times in this life. Some of these beliefs sound so godly at times however they are not the gospel truths. It is very dangerous to believe everything you get to hear from any pulpit without engaging your brain and the knowledge you have on the same. God has given you the will to make choices under the sun. However, it is common to see people expecting God to make decisions on their behalf in the name