Skip to main content

Burning Bridges


                              


Bridges are essential in life. Imagine you had a fire scare in your hood. It is a very desperate situation isn't it? Imagine watching your various bridges burn after all the years of building. But wait, I have come to realized it is not how long you build the bridge but how dear you valued it. One of my best quotes in life is to stand for what you believe in even if it’s a tree that stands alone in a desert. For this case, burn not any bridge! That I believe! But No. That should not fool you! I am human and as any serious believer the journey is not always swift, so at times I doubt that which I believe in. That’s a good thing though. It is a sure prove that I am 100% human.

Never burn any bridges if you know you got rivers to cross in your life. However un-serviced they may be kept .If you think it’s risky to use them, move to a new locality and build new ones. But think about it, burning bridges isn’t all that bad after all; it prevents you from going back to a place you should never have been in the first place. We cry over friends we will never have back, people we once adored, bridges that have been burnt. But there is always a reason for all past we ever had. “Where you supposed to be at that side of the bridge in the first place?" May be, may be not, All the same cross the bridge first before you burn it if you have to.

So you ask what bridge has she burned? And I say none. But I got a few bridges in very horrible state all the same, they are there. Let me tell you a short story. I met this good friend sometimes back. Let’s call them ‘Biko’. Biko was a very admirable friend, passionately loved what they did, I learned a lot from Biko. But just like any one of us, Biko had some down side in life. Having met a few friends in my life from all walks of life, Biko was not from any of these walks. 

“I am not one of your other ordinary friends.'' Biko once spat! {Read I am a very important person I got what you can’t get else where in those junkies you call friends}

Oh sure? So who are you? I wondered deep within me. I don’t think you have met my friends! They are the coolest thing I have ever had in life. I treasure my friends .They are my key bridge in life. 

“Do not abuse the privilege of being my friend.”  Biko vomited this time round. 

I treasure friendship and my friends are special hence I could not just listen to someone insult my friends. NO. I realized this was a game and I love games since they make Jack a happy kid!  So the game was played, and my point on friendship was made;  not in a very friendly way though. Friendship is a two way thing and it is a very special bridge in life.  But most importantly, you may only use one bridge at a time though.  Make sure one particular bridge is always serviced and ready for use.

Did I burn my bridge? No. but I just moved from my home town and pitched a camp in a new neighborhood not so far from Biko. We meet every once in a while but the truth is this friendship ended in exactly 5 months my shortest friendship ever to be. Can you believe it? Lesson 101 on burning bridges: It is purely your choice if you want to crush that bridge or not. It’s not wrong to do it neither is it right. You got the power to choose!

Written By:
Ms. Dinah Muthuka

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty? Why not Just Clean it?

Gross? Not sure. It depends on how you look at it. But nevertheless chances are you are right. I had bought the cup anyway, so I had to try it. It felt like a first day of bikini waxing. A little awkward but then still curious enough to just want to go on. I believe in the menstrual cup, but let’s just say I will need some time to get used to it. So I went back to my tampons for a while. This time round I changed my brand from OB to Cotton. Believe me I am not the kind that promotes products. Unless it’s so irresistible. I found out that the Cottons tampons are only made from 100% natural cotton. Cottons tampons are also hypo-allergenic and biodegradable. Wish I had discovered this a little earlier. Nevertheless, now I know. So, I had to share the good news with someone. Who best fits than someone who has been forced to stick with you for more than 8 hours a day by a simple pay check? So I pull out a small well packed tampon box to show her. It did not bother me that I had some

NOT NOW...

[Photo Coutesy of Google.] So it is 5 th June, it’s summerish in New York I thin k. We touch down at JFK at 6:55am or about local time. Never mind I still call it JKIA every so often because that’s where I frequent most. I am excited and anxious at the same time. It’s been a 15hour flight and to be so sincere , I can’t feel my big toe. I just want to get out of this freaking big plane and breathe some fresh air. So I walk past the flight attendant at the exit door and in a small scared coarse voice I whisper to myself, “Welcome to America Village Girl.” I then walk behind this particular lady whom from a distance seems to be nice. She was seated across my wing in the flight, between a black old lady and a Mzungu guy. Everybody is walking very fast. Why on earth do people walk that fast after alighting from a plane? Let’s just assume most of them have connecting flights and the rest of us are just scared of being left behind. Deep within, I am sure this lady is going to help

Red Love Day

Valentine day, what is it? … mmmh … makes the two of us. I have been looking for the real meaning to it. All I have grasped over the past few years is that the day is red in color and it is celebrated by lovers. So I choose to call it a ‘Red Love day.’ There is an immeasurable distance between Love and Red Love; Life's greatest tragedy is that we get old too soon and never get to differentiate the two. But think again, they say it’s never too late to get back on track. Well, I do agree. But I choose to think it may depend on what took you off the track.... (Imagine the case of a fatal Accident; I can ass ure you chances are that you may never get back on track.) . But all the same don't we have survivors of such! In a few days time ‘Red Love day’ will be here with us and not to mention lots of expectations from lovers .The roses, candle lit dinner, chocolates …the very inevitable will be the Heart-Breaks. Consciously or unconsciously.... many of us have plans ready on how to m