Skip to main content

Freedom is Priceless to the Extraordinary.


We can all be extraordinary!

Today is 18th July 2013 {Mandela’s birthday}. A true African inspiration .Anyone who listens to the South African song in the Sarafina sound track, ‘Freedom is coming tomorrow’ will agree that Mandela is a true inspiration. There is no limit to the love anyone can share, to the happiness one can inspire and to the peace anyone can bring. Born on 18th July 1918, I am sure Mandela was an ordinary child who grew up to be very extraordinary. A long walk to freedom is what he can testify to today; 28 years in prison is quite a long time! Were you in his shoes; would you have gone through the season victorious?  Or would you have just given up? Maybe, Maybe not. Thinking about the pain we would cause our loved ones, visiting jail cells on a daily basis? I still don’t know and can’t comprehend. Coming back home, the Likes of Wangari Mathai , Boniface Mwangi , Josephine Kulea are some of the Kenyan heroes I admire ! I want to imagine the pain their loved ones go through, a throw of a gunshot or tear gas knowing very well that they have these guys in the crowd! The neighbors also talk and point figures. But all the same these people are selfless just to ensure that a stranger somewhere enjoy their rights!

Nelson Mandela will forever be remembered for his humility, empathy and unwavering efforts towards South African Liberation. Wangari Mathai, born in 1940, will be remembered for being a Kenyan environmental and political activist with her voice raise on environmental conservation and women’s right.Born in 1983 photojournalist and activist is one Boniface Mwangi; this young man from my generation is a hero! A very ordinary child that has ended up very extraordinary; a fearless voice in the Kenyan social -political circle. I have always wondered what he thinks when no one else is watching! These are not the only heroes we can talk about .Kenya has very many heroes that have made our lives better in one way or the other. The biggest question is; for how long shall we just receive? What shall we say you stood by when you are long gone?  We may not all be activists but we all believe in something. One of my greatest fears is to live this planet with untapped wealth or having done nothing for the improvement of humanity! This is a great tragedy for anybody else out there. We can all do something,If all you do is run while others are flying,just run, if you can just walk please walk, if all you can do is crawl , just crawl but do that which you believe you were called to do. You will have at least done something. The biggest tragedy is never to have tried!

Today I believe in the empowerment of the youth through mentor-ship. I say NO to VAT on Sanitary towels!  I believe a class one child need a well-paid teacher more than they need that Laptop.  I believe it is more sustainable to put up e-learning centers and libraries in schools before we can think about this laptop issue! Someone tell my elected Government to get their priorities right please. That’s the much I can crawl!

Prepared By:Dinah Muthuka.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty? Why not Just Clean it?

Gross? Not sure. It depends on how you look at it. But nevertheless chances are you are right. I had bought the cup anyway, so I had to try it. It felt like a first day of bikini waxing. A little awkward but then still curious enough to just want to go on. I believe in the menstrual cup, but let’s just say I will need some time to get used to it. So I went back to my tampons for a while. This time round I changed my brand from OB to Cotton. Believe me I am not the kind that promotes products. Unless it’s so irresistible. I found out that the Cottons tampons are only made from 100% natural cotton. Cottons tampons are also hypo-allergenic and biodegradable. Wish I had discovered this a little earlier. Nevertheless, now I know. So, I had to share the good news with someone. Who best fits than someone who has been forced to stick with you for more than 8 hours a day by a simple pay check? So I pull out a small well packed tampon box to show her. It did not bother me that I had some

Red Love Day

Valentine day, what is it? … mmmh … makes the two of us. I have been looking for the real meaning to it. All I have grasped over the past few years is that the day is red in color and it is celebrated by lovers. So I choose to call it a ‘Red Love day.’ There is an immeasurable distance between Love and Red Love; Life's greatest tragedy is that we get old too soon and never get to differentiate the two. But think again, they say it’s never too late to get back on track. Well, I do agree. But I choose to think it may depend on what took you off the track.... (Imagine the case of a fatal Accident; I can ass ure you chances are that you may never get back on track.) . But all the same don't we have survivors of such! In a few days time ‘Red Love day’ will be here with us and not to mention lots of expectations from lovers .The roses, candle lit dinner, chocolates …the very inevitable will be the Heart-Breaks. Consciously or unconsciously.... many of us have plans ready on how to m

NOT NOW...

[Photo Coutesy of Google.] So it is 5 th June, it’s summerish in New York I thin k. We touch down at JFK at 6:55am or about local time. Never mind I still call it JKIA every so often because that’s where I frequent most. I am excited and anxious at the same time. It’s been a 15hour flight and to be so sincere , I can’t feel my big toe. I just want to get out of this freaking big plane and breathe some fresh air. So I walk past the flight attendant at the exit door and in a small scared coarse voice I whisper to myself, “Welcome to America Village Girl.” I then walk behind this particular lady whom from a distance seems to be nice. She was seated across my wing in the flight, between a black old lady and a Mzungu guy. Everybody is walking very fast. Why on earth do people walk that fast after alighting from a plane? Let’s just assume most of them have connecting flights and the rest of us are just scared of being left behind. Deep within, I am sure this lady is going to help