Skip to main content

Father on Chistmas Day



                                                 FATHERon CHRISTMAS day.
Christmas time is always special to so many people in the world. It is the time of the year when you get to see and merry with friends and loved ones. As usual I always love driving to my grandmother’s place. Shopping senselessly and buying everything I come across; either I need it or not (That’s why my love for January has never been real). So this Christmas was even better; I got a chance to drive home with a very special woman in my life. For a cool 1.5 hour the ‘Matatu drivers’ in me was surpressed by the love of my passenger on board. 

On our way home ,we passed by ‘Mzee’s’ home town to pick some fruits ; so I slowed down  and pulled off { wamama kukimbia nayo?} I could barely see anything for they had covered my face with the merchandise. One lady caught my attention though, she called me by my second name which I rarely use ; ‘ Ndunge! Is that you? Mwiitu wa Muthuka! Is that you? You have never changed? You still look the same after so many years …….’ I panicked. There can't be someone who knows me here.  Emotions ran high,  wondering what?. ‘You look so much like Faith …’ she continued. Now what? Who is Faith? I almost asked. (a story for another day) The excitement was so evident on this lady that I had to interrupt…. OK. Who are you? I gathered myself and asked. I am your neighbor just next to Mzees farm. Ooohh…. I acted to recall (I had no idea what she was talking about). Doing my math’s very fast. I asked. ‘Where is Mzee ?’. She hesitated, changed her face, stepped and leaned off the car…. Looking at me like she was pushing back something. She took a deep breath .It dawned to her that she had gotten herself into trouble. She looked at me deeply like she was asking a question straight to my heart.  You mean, you don't know?’ She took another deep breath and said ‘He passed on. In 2008. she continued’ My world ended for several seconds. What? I asked. 2008? OK. I thanked her  for the information and behaved 'No big deal '.

Very fast I bought a few things from her and drove off! Accelerating at 140KM/H.... on my speedometer. Switched off the music and drove. My passenger was unusually calm. Either she was negotiating her future with God or watching keenly just in case she had to explain what actually killed her. After some serious drive, I took a deep breath  and slowed down…..For everyone to know and from the depth of my heart I did it......  ‘MY FATHAER IS DEAD! Yes he is DEAD (Laughing and shouting at the same time ) . After screaming this out , I was relieved, really relieved. No tears all this time. All I felt was feelingless. Yes feeling-less . Just before you form an opinion about me. Wait! Yes I may be mean and heartless at times. But what else could I have done. 

I had prayed for the old man since I could remember, I always told God to keep him until the day I would be ready to meet him. But I was a coward, yes a big coward. I feared so many things would happen, from rejection to attachment. It was clear now that my prayer was not going to happen ever. In 2008 (the year he passed on) I had started this major search, the search for a man I only knew in pictures. A man that gave me a surname. A man whose blood ran in my veins (tissues please…) But the reality was that he was no more. He had missed in my life, He was missing in my life, and he would miss in my whole life. He is still very special in my life. Rest in Peace Mr. Joseph Muthuka and Happy Fathers day  for all the days I never had the chance to say that .

To all the fathers out there, we love you; you mean the world to us .For whatever reason you do not have to remain missing in our lives. Brush our hairs, teach us footballs, teach us something new, hold our hands, play with us, kiss us goodnight just make us feel special. That is all we ask for. We may never want any explanation after all.

Prepared by Dinah Muthuka
 www.youngjewels.org


Comments

  1. Pretty touchy. I like the humour and take home piece of advice in the tail end. Great lessons. Can't wait to see my daughter and be a better dad! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dirty? Why not Just Clean it?

Gross? Not sure. It depends on how you look at it. But nevertheless chances are you are right. I had bought the cup anyway, so I had to try it. It felt like a first day of bikini waxing. A little awkward but then still curious enough to just want to go on. I believe in the menstrual cup, but let’s just say I will need some time to get used to it. So I went back to my tampons for a while. This time round I changed my brand from OB to Cotton. Believe me I am not the kind that promotes products. Unless it’s so irresistible. I found out that the Cottons tampons are only made from 100% natural cotton. Cottons tampons are also hypo-allergenic and biodegradable. Wish I had discovered this a little earlier. Nevertheless, now I know. So, I had to share the good news with someone. Who best fits than someone who has been forced to stick with you for more than 8 hours a day by a simple pay check? So I pull out a small well packed tampon box to show her. It did not bother me that I had some

Red Love Day

Valentine day, what is it? … mmmh … makes the two of us. I have been looking for the real meaning to it. All I have grasped over the past few years is that the day is red in color and it is celebrated by lovers. So I choose to call it a ‘Red Love day.’ There is an immeasurable distance between Love and Red Love; Life's greatest tragedy is that we get old too soon and never get to differentiate the two. But think again, they say it’s never too late to get back on track. Well, I do agree. But I choose to think it may depend on what took you off the track.... (Imagine the case of a fatal Accident; I can ass ure you chances are that you may never get back on track.) . But all the same don't we have survivors of such! In a few days time ‘Red Love day’ will be here with us and not to mention lots of expectations from lovers .The roses, candle lit dinner, chocolates …the very inevitable will be the Heart-Breaks. Consciously or unconsciously.... many of us have plans ready on how to m

NOT NOW...

[Photo Coutesy of Google.] So it is 5 th June, it’s summerish in New York I thin k. We touch down at JFK at 6:55am or about local time. Never mind I still call it JKIA every so often because that’s where I frequent most. I am excited and anxious at the same time. It’s been a 15hour flight and to be so sincere , I can’t feel my big toe. I just want to get out of this freaking big plane and breathe some fresh air. So I walk past the flight attendant at the exit door and in a small scared coarse voice I whisper to myself, “Welcome to America Village Girl.” I then walk behind this particular lady whom from a distance seems to be nice. She was seated across my wing in the flight, between a black old lady and a Mzungu guy. Everybody is walking very fast. Why on earth do people walk that fast after alighting from a plane? Let’s just assume most of them have connecting flights and the rest of us are just scared of being left behind. Deep within, I am sure this lady is going to help